Saturday, August 25, 2012

John Frieda Color Foam Review

Maintaining bottle blonde hair can be a lot of work and I don't recommend it to anyone who isn't willing to put the effort (and money) into it. I have already been close to just dying it brunette again a few times but every time I touch up my unsightly brunette roots and have a whole head of blonde again, it makes me happy I didn't! I really enjoy being a blonde which I never thought would be the case. I used to get it highlighted but that became way too expensive to do on a regular basis so I took matters into my own hands!

My last review was about getting your hair bleach blonde which is great when you first get the results you were hoping for but soon after you're dealing with hideous roots (which is when most give up and go darker once again). To maintain my lovely (more natural looking than bleached) blonde I use John Frieda Precision Foam Colour, Extra Light Beige Blonde 10B  this is the lightest shade available. Sometimes it's harder to find that shade in store which is why I often buy it off of Amazon.

I just recently touched up my roots with this shade which is why I decided to do a review so that I'd have pictures to share.
What comes in the box:


Since it's a foam coloring it's a bit different than a regular at home hair dye kit. It is really simple to set up, you just put the number 2 bottle into the number 1 bottle put the lid back on and gently tilt from side to side 5 times and do exactly as the directions say, do not shake it! The gloves that come with it are actually the best hair dying gloves I've ever gotten from a kit. The quality is great and they actually fit my hands! I really get frustrated when kits comes with the huge gloves that make me kind of clumsy while applying the dye. I actually keep the gloves from these kits to reuse again later for other dyes (when I help my sister dye her hair). 

After it's set up you just squeeze the side of the bottle and a lovely foam will come out. I suggest squeezing it onto your gloves then applying to your hair, not applying it directly from the bottle. For roots touch ups like I do, I first apply only to the roots then when that is finished I let it sit for 30 minutes then I work the remaining foam through the rest of my hair and let it sit another 10 minutes to get a nice even coverage.

I have pretty thin hair and it's about shoulder length so I really don't need much, I always end up tossing some at the end. The liquid foams up so much that I can't imagine many people needing more than one bottle for their whole head. After you let it sit for the desire time you rinse it out with lukewarm water just as with most dyes, except that this foam dye is so easy to rinse out. I leave the conditioner on longer than directed, about 10 minutes usually. The conditioner is really great and smells amazing. It'll leave your hair so soft and smooth and shiny!


My hair before (unsightly roots!):

My hair after the root touch up:

Awesome, right?! You can still notice a slight difference in color where my roots used to be but to fix that I just use a purple shampoo and that lightens it up and evens the tones out. I personally use Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus and it does an amazing job at keeping my hair a non yellowy/non brassy blonde.

I have to say the John Frieda Foam Color is definitely the best permanent at home hair dye I have ever tried. It's so simple to use, even without any help from others. It gives a non patchy even coverage as advertised and the selection of colors is great. I have heard from other reviewers that the color comes out darker than on the box so some might want to take that into consideration when choosing a color. I have tried a shade of brown from the collection, 5N, as well as another blonde, 8N, both worked great for me!

All things considered I would definitely recommend this product! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'm not an expert but I do have quite a bit of experience with at home hair dying. Thanks for reading!   


1 comment:

  1. omg, your before picture looks EXACTLY like my hair right now, and my natural color is exactly like that, I can never tell if my roots are dark blonde or light brown and I wanted to use this color but was afraid my roots would go orange. Thanks so much for this review, and please post more!

    ReplyDelete