Thursday, August 23, 2012

From Blue Black to Bleach Blonde

My first first review on this blog! I'm still waiting for my Bzzkit to arrive so that I can review the Unreal candy, in the meantime I decided I'll do a review on the DIY bleaching kit I used on my hair a few months back.

The bleaching kit I used is called L'Oreal Paris Super Blonde Crème Lightening Kit, Medium Brown to Darkest Brown. I used it twice, the first time I got it from Amazon (if you click the link it'll take you to it) and the second time I got it from Target, around $11.99 if I recall correctly.

A few months ago I had blue black hair and decided I wanted to go drastically lighter. I bought the bleach and with a little help from a friend (I do not recommend doing it alone) I managed to bleach my entire head. This wasn't the first time I had ever used a bleaching kit in my hair but it was the first time I did the whole thing. I have to admit I was kind of upset after the first bleaching. My hair came out patchy and strange colors. I had blue, green, brown, blonde, ultra blonde... but after the second time I was very happy with the results, no more patches and no more strange colors!

Some tips that I think would be helpful to anyone bleaching at home:

- try to avoid using a lot of heat or any hair products a few weeks before bleaching
- wear old clothes, use old towels when bleaching! (I know it's obvious but some people forget)
- you have to work quickly to ensure even coverage, the effects of the bleach are almost instant
- ask a friend to help you, doing it alone can be frustrating
- do not comb the bleach through your hair! (it will cause major breakage and unhappy hair)
- condition, condition, condition, oh yeah and condition
- a few days after bleaching use a hair mask to restore moisture

As for the specific kit I used, as long as you follow the directions exactly I would recommend it! It came with everything you need. For once the gloves weren't huge like many dye kits gloves are. The mixture is a cool blue which helps tone out the brassiness that bleaching often induces. The fumes are pretty strong so I suggest doing it in a well ventilated area, my friend who helped me got pretty light headed from them. I have to say for a bleaching kit it wasn't even that damaging to my hair. I used it twice in two weeks (with a hair mask and tons of conditioning in between) and I had very little breakage. Many of you may need to do it twice as I did, but I imagine many with medium brown shades would only need one, just make sure you leave it on long enough!


Here was my hair before, blue/black:


After the first bleaching:


And after the second bleaching:



I actually dyed my hair again soon after to a more natural, but still very light, blonde and my hair picked up the color really well even after all that bleaching. I really hope this helps someone who was looking for the right at home bleaching kit. If anyone stumbles across this and has any questions please feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment